Google

Friday 7 December 2007

The Wrong Funeral

Thinking back a few years ago, I went to the wrong funeral of one of my friends. Nicky was a girl who fell off a horse and broke her neck, she was 19 years old. Her funeral was very sad. I drove down to Poole with another friend. We did not know her family as Nicky was a friend of Jane's who was at school with her.
So we sat through the very sad funeral, full of young people. After the funeral there was a wake at a local hotel. I called Jane on her mb phone and asked her for directions, Jane was going with the dead girls parents in their car. She said 'follow the big black car.' so I did. A big black car drove pas tus and off we all set. True enough the car pulled up twenty minutes later at a local hotel.
Chris and I went inside and milled around, looking for Jane or anyone we knew. We got a couple of drinks and a plate of food. Chris commented that he did not recinise anyone. I said that it was probaly because so many people actually came to the funeral that the rest of her friends jst came to the wake. What was I thinking?

So a few more minutes ticked by and a man came upto us and asked how we knew Robert. That is when the penny dropped, wrong Funeral party. I called Jane her phoe was off. We had to go back to the crematorium and get them to phone the funeral directors to tell us where the hotel was.
We both got there 2 hours late, it was one of the most embarrassing things I have ever done. Strangly it helped that atmosphere at Nicky's wake. It made people smile.

No comments: